Today, climate issues are seen as essential challenges for society, but the importance of biodiversity is still widely underestimated. Bolloré Logistics has joined the movement 55 renowned civil society actors, under the leadership of the IBPC association*, for an international appeal to develop urban biodiversity.
One of the pioneer companies in France to have established a biodiversity management system, certified “Biodiversity Commitment” by Ecocert®, Bolloré Logistics is also a forerunner in the transport and logistics sector by taking into account this externality in its sustainable building policy and building management. In order to establish biodiversity as a key corporate environmental concern, be open to and meet customer requirements in this area and make its business premises relays for biodiversity, Bolloré Logistics pursues an active biodiversity policy integrated in its CSR strategy since 2013, in cooperation with the ecological consulting firm Elan. It includes detailed consideration of biodiversity issues in every one of its businesses with a more local focus on the individual sites throughout the world. This is a reflection of its desire to involve employees in this sustainability approach.
The first signatories of the BiodiverCity® international charter, presented at the world’s leading property market MIPIM 2018 in Cannes on 15 March and at the major event of the actors and solutions for sustainable development and CSR Produrable 2018 in Paris on 5 April, are founding members of Cibi, architects(Stephano Boeri, Jean-Paul Viguier, Antony Bechu, AIA, Chapman Taylor…), real estate developers (Gecina, Altarea Cogedim, BNP Paribas Real Estate, Crédit Agricole Immobilier, Eiffage Immobilier, Groupama Immobilier…) and the IWBI from New York (Well Building Standard®), the French Plan Bâtiment Durable, Deloitte and Certivea.
The BiodiverCity® international charter’s 10 key points:
- Promote the integration of biodiversity (vegetalisation, wildlife protection, urban agriculture) within all projects, whether newbuild or renovation, and to existing space under management.
- Identify within its portfolio or projects the spaces that can accommodate living organisms, in both existing and planned works.
- Integrate biodiversity, consider vegetalisation upstream, from the first programming phase onward.
- Associate themselves with resources and skills dedicated to living organisms (ecologists, landscape designers) to guide development of the project.
- Consider the site, the ecological, landscape and cultural environment in which a project is located.
- Promote implementation of a BiodiverCity® type label, aiming for a high level of commitment in the biodiversity component of the environmental certification sought and/or obtained such as BREEAM®, HQE®, LEED® and WELL Building Standard®.
- Include measurement of the evolution in a project’s ecological potential, both before and after its implementation by means of projection.
- Aim for interaction between living forms and users (inhabitants for a housing project, employees for a service sector project, consumers for a commercial project) for the benefit of their well-being and the development of “experiencing Nature”.
- Anticipate and deploy sustainable and environmentally friendly management over time.
- Share and explain the presence of living organisms at the delivery stage and throughout the life of the project (information, animations), mobilising all forms of media (physical, digital, etc.), in order to develop experiences of Nature.
*The International Biodiversity & Property Council (IBPC / Cibi in French), created in 2013 by seven founding members (Bolloré Logistics, Bouygues Construction, CDC Biodiversité, Elan, Gecina, Les Jardins de Gally, la LPO) has initiated BiodiverCity® label. This pioneering network for professionals of the new sector combining Biodiversity and Real Estate brings together now 46 members and 100 certified or under progress projects (including Bolloré Logistics’ green hubs of Roissy and Le Havre and Bolloré Logistics Nantes headquarters).